Yes, I Have Been Moving Around, Thank You Very Much!

1:54 PM chronicmigraineellie 0 Comments

I really struggled with what I was going to write about this week. More often than not, I have a clear idea of what I want to say, and how I want to say it. Today, I am not so sure. As the semester is beginning to come to a close, my workload has begun to increase, and I am faced with the ever present struggle of trying to do work to the best of my ability while balancing my health and happiness.

It's the small things that help me get through it - doing my laundry, cleaning my room, get readings and essays done, and knocking things off of my to-do list while also getting sleep and eating well. But all too often I am overwhelmed by the feeling that no matter my efforts, I will be unable to complete my tasks and do everything that I want to do. This is something that is not unknown to spoonies, as our days are often ruled by how much stress our bodies can take in a day.

Someone recently told me that I looked good physically, like I had been working out or moving. I laughed and said "Thank you, I have in fact been moving!" Yet looking back, on the past couple weeks, I have moved a lot. I have walked up the stairs to get to my room, sometimes gripping onto the railing for much-needed support. I've had to take the stairs to class when the elevator was broken, knowing that there would be a small chance that I may pass out at the top of the fourth flight. I've also danced, and cleaned and stretched. The problem with this isn't that I am unable to move or use my body, it's the fact that I never know when or where my body will fail me. The unrelenting fatigue and pain have become a part of my daily routine, as much as brushing my teeth or getting dressed is. My body is at war with itself, and I am stuck in the trenches.

Breathing is something that is natural to humans. We breath in and out, taking in oxygen and expelling carbon dioxide. It is a simple reaction. I breathe to push through pain, through fatigue, through emotions that I have no control over. Sometimes, it is the only thing that I can control in my life. It's something that is so simple, so easy for most people to do. By doing breathing exercises, I am able to help center my body. When I wake up, when I go to bed, and any other time during the day: In, two, three, four. Out, two, three, four. Repeat.

This small semblance of control keeps me going, in a life where I do not control anything. My body is not my own. As much as I try to fight it, my body remains in the control of my illness. However, I will never give up hope. I may be sick for the rest of my life, but I will always fight. It is in my nature to be a fighter. I have always been headstrong and confident, always willing to question authority and the "normal way" of doing things.  I don't think anything will change that, and that's a good thing.

As always, have an amazing migraine-free week!

0 comments: